The First United Methodist Church in Elberton, Georgia, was founded in 1815 and was a part of the Broad River Circuit. While the first building was built in 1820, the church moved to its present location in 1848, where a frame building was constructed. In 1880, the church became a station church with its first full-time pastor.
Construction on the current sanctuary began in the year 1886 and was completed in 1889; this is when the “tracker action” organ was installed. Educational buildings were added in 1952 and 1964, and the hallway between was built in 1978. Between 1989 and 1990, the church completed a building program of remodeling the old educational building by adding a kitchen, elevator, covered drive-through, and additional parking area, and enlarged the Fellowship Hall. In 2003 the church purchased the Palm and Granite Building, which has been renamed the Jack R. Bozeman Building.
In 2010, 121 years after the “Tracker Action” organ’s installation, the new organ was installed in the sanctuary. 2010 was also the year the Cross & Flame was built, which provides a contemporary worship space for our Early “Crossroads” Service at 9:00 AM, Seasonal & Community services, and special drama and musical presentations.
The mission of Elberton First UMC is to be a church that is LOVING, CARING, SERVING, GROWING, and REACHING OTHERS for Christ.